Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year, New Semester, Buy Your Rice Cooker

The other day, one of Miss Em's friends came over. She complained about the food at her college, the cost of the meal plan, the lack of facilities, and so on. I told her a rice cooker plus a little help from me would solve her problems. She asked how much it would cost. I told her that she would need a rice cooker and a few food items to start. I would even give her a private cooking lesson.*

Two days later the lesson commenced. I took out my cheap rice cooker, put a cup of rice in it, added a cup and a half of water, threw in a handful of chopped onions and rice, and pressed COOK. If I'd had some frozen spinach, I would have put that in too.

NOTE: NO CHOPPING, so no clean-up.

We went our separate ways and reconvened about 30 minutes later. The cooker was on WARM. We had waited a little too long, so we had some sticking.

I added a beaten egg and some soy sauce. The friend looked at me as if I had solved some difficult physics problem. This is, by the way, a very hardworking and smart girl. So she picked up the point that with different add-ins (cheese, salsa, beans, whatever), you could have many different meals.

I told her that we had done a rough calculation and figured that Miss Em saves AT LEAST $500.00/semester with our methods.

So, let me reiterate: get a rice cooker.

You could even get our little cookbook.

If you have a KINDLE.

If you don't, you can get the pdf.

*As for the private cooking lesson: how many people have a private cooking lesson conducted by a Phd? This dear girl also came over one day with some questions about poetry, which were answered by Mr. FS and me: another private lesson. I'm glad to report that she got an A on her test.

No comments:

Post a Comment