Sunday, February 5, 2012

Healthy Soup in Your Rice Cooker: Bob's Red Mill Mix

I started this blog (and put together a little ecookbook) so my daughter would have good things to eat in her stove-free dorm suite. As it happens, she doesn't need much help: she partakes of some of the free food opportunities that are a part of college life, cooks a sweet potato in the micro, or prepares a rice concoction in the rice cooker. No recipes needed for the above.

Yesterday, I bought some of the Bob's Red Mill bean mixes. They are somewhat misleadingly called soup mixes, but they are bean or bean and grain mixes only. You do need to spiff them up. You can buy these on Amazon.

I wanteed to see if it was possible to cook this in the rice cooker. Long story short: yes. I put 1 cup of mix in the rice cooker with 4 cups water. I three in a few peeled cloves of garlic (I don't like stock cubes, but go ahead). I turned the cooker on. When it came to a boil, I switched it to WARM setting.

Genius idea, developed by Miss Em. This turns your rice cooker into a slow cooker. I checked now and again and added some more water. When it was done, I tasted, added salt. It tasted--shall we say--virtuous.

I had some ham and added a few scraps. I also added some frozen spinach. It was good AND virtuous.

There are many possibilities--chopped carrots, mushrooms, etc would all be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment