Monday, February 27, 2012

A Quick Asian Meal for the College Cook

Check out the recipe from a bonafide College Cook. Tofu, Peanut-Hoisin Sauce, Rice, and Vegetables. Note that Miss Em, while still in a dorm suite with no stove, does have a kitchen a few doors down. So this is a stove recipe, though it could be adapted to the rice cooker.

I'm going to be trying this tonight.



That night I made an OMG-easy dinner that is going to be my new go-to! I already had a batch of brown rice that I'd made earlier in the week and some steam-in-bag veggies I'd gotten BOGO at Publix a week or two ago. I steamed the veggies in the micro (3 minutes). I heated some oil in the skillet, added some garlic, opened one of those packs of tofu, and grilled/lightly fried it in little chunks. (5 minutes). I mixed together hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes to make a sauce. (1 minute, while veggies were in micro). I took the tofu out of the pan, added the veggies and the sauce, and stirred it together. (1 minute) Then I added the tofu to the pan again (at the end so it wouldn't fall apart), turned the stove off, and brought the still-warm pan to my room and set it aside (1 minute). I heated the brown rice in the micro (1 minute), poured half the veggie/tofu mixture on top, and threw some fresh peanuts on top (30 seconds). How long is that together? A little over 10 minutes? And it was SO GOOD! I can't even explain. And it made enough for two meals! It would be good with a fried egg, too (I am obsessed with eggs lately. I eat at least one a day. Great for protein boosts, versatile, quick and easy to cook!).
Anyway. I was quite excited by the quality meal I got with so little effort. It almost made me feel guilty. Heh.


Note the reliance on the College Cooking pantry: rice, frozen vegetables, tofu, peanut butter, condiments. Miss Em uses the tofu that comes in the little boxes, requiring no refrigeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment